Sunday, April 15, 2012

Got Waders?


Fly fishing doesn't have to be done on the shore or in a boat like most fishing traditionalists think. The beautiful thing about fly fishing is getting into the river or stream and walking up or down stream in search of trout suspended in little riffles and runs. The only problem with this is that some of the best time to fish is when the water is cold and in turn the weather tends to be cold as well. This can easily be resolved with a nice pair of waders which keep that chilling yet beautiful stream water from giving us hyperthermia. I know that sounds a bit extreme but for myself and most of my friends, we love fishing in the winter months because the trout waters are almost perfect for the fly fisherman. I guess the only question is what kind or brand of waders do I need? I can only speak for my own personal experiences and my buddies, but I will give you an honest suggestion and you can decide for yourself. Like many of you new guys, I was budget conscious and had so much I thought that I needed that when it came to waders I spent very little. I bought a pair of Redhead waders from Basspro and for a year I was totally satisfied with them. They did the job of keeping my legs from being subjected to the cold water but that only lasted a season and started leaking. It could have been that I didn't hang my waders properly out of ignorance, but my waders sprung major leaks which couldn't be fixed. Being an Orvis guy which basically means that I love Orvis and try to purchase their products, I'll be speaking from that point of view so be aware. Sure there are plenty of choices out there, but I love Orvis and their attention to quality. Orvis also represents a lifestyle that I want to identify myself with as a fly fisherman. Because of my leaky waders, I began searching for waders and decided on a pair of Orvis Guide Waders and have never been happier. These waders are incredible and their fit is as good as any waders I have tried. The bonus was that they were Orvis. You might wonder if waders really matter and I can tell you that after countless trips in the water freezing or wet, it matters. My Orvis waders have made all the difference in the world. I am able to stay in the water longer and in more comfort than ever before. I don't have to worry about leaks or the scare of tearing a hole in them because of the multiple layers of material in them. I'm not suggesting that you should buy Orvis at all, but I can tell you that they make quality products and back them up with a warranty that can't be matched.If I were to give a new guy any advice it would be to not skimp on the equipment that makes the fishing experience more comfortable and safe. These items include your waders, your wading boots, your waterproof wading jacket, and your PFD or personal floatations device. Some of these items I will discuss later but just know these are the most important items in making your in the water experience more enjoyable. Why skimp on the items you will use the most when you will have to replace them later. I will fish with a lower end rod but will not ever skimp on the above mentioned items. With all of that said, if budget is a problem, then don't worry if you aren't able to get a nice setup initially. I am only suggesting that these items are things that you should try not to go cheap on.

No comments:

Post a Comment